I was teaching first grade in the American school on a U.S Navy base in Edzell, Scotland. Down through the years, I have had some amazing messes in my classroom, but none so colossal as the one I am about to relate here...and this one wasn’t even my fault.
Our students received weekly lessons in Scottish culture and history from a delightful and much-loved Scottish man, whom we shall call Mr. V. He was an excellent teacher, but, at the time, lacked the experience necessary to foresee all the ramifications of turning one’s back on some first graders.
This happened back in the days when, to show a film, you had to erect a wobbly screen and load a reel of film into a 16mm projector that worked only half of the time. While Mr. V. turned his attention to the rattly projector, three of my first grade girls inched their way under the projector screen and out of sight behind it where they discovered the paint closet...!
Now, here is where I may have to shoulder a little of the blame in this saga, because some of the contents of this closet should have been placed out of children’s reach. That much I admit!
These three little girls raided that closet like demented monkeys. They pulled out can after can of powdered tempera paint and sprinkled it liberally about. Then they spied, lurking ominously on the shelf, a crusted can of varnish. Somehow, they managed to pry the lid off the offending can and pour it into the powdery lumps already festooning the sink and walls. They stood there, unnoticed, working their evil magic for 20 minutes while Mr. V. went about his merry way in the darkened room, blissfully unaware of the events unfolding behind the screen.
When I finally reentered the room, the smell of the varnish alerted me that All Was Not Well! I peeked behind the screen and was treated to the sight of three little paint covered girls. Their hands were gloved with gooey clumps of varnish and powdered paint. The walls, windows and sink were spread with great, sagging blobs of the stuff.
The girls were bundled down to the school nurse for Major Cleanup Duty. During lunch, Mr. V and I tackled the mess.
My fervent hope is that these three little scientists/artists grew up to have inquisitive little explorers just...like...them. Ha!
Being a scientist comes naturally to small children. We can't help but love them as they sometimes cause disasters and havoc in this process of learning about the world.
I don't think we ever stop learning about our world. I am so glad that God loves us, in spite of the havoc and disasters we as adults sometimes cause. We are all just learners and explorers as we go through life...no matter how old we are!
Love it Mary Alice! Great story, great lesson...and demented monkeys...HA!
ReplyDelete